Ecuador Travel – Find Out What Ecuador Can Offer As A Holiday Destination!
Opting for Ecuador travel will give you a chance to enjoy the most fascinating insights of this wonderful South American country. Learn more about those places that attract travelers to Ecuador and do plan your visit accordingly. There is something for each traveler here so read to learn more.
Today, when someone plans for a vacation he or she usually look for places that offer them everything that they may wonder. Ecuador is one place on earth that brings you a perfect holidaying experience. The country’s natural diversity and the fun associated with it make this place the best selection for your next holiday. It is one place where you will never feel bored as it includes a lot to explore.
Interesting And Fun Facts About Ecuador
- The ‘Republic of Ecuador’ is the official name of the country.
- Spanish is the official language of the country. However, other languages such as Quechua and other indigenous languages are widely popular here.
- Roman Catholics are majority in religion here.
- Mestizo, Amerindian, Spanish and Blacks are main ethnic groups in Ecuador.
- Since January 2001, US dollar has been accepted as the official currency of Ecuador.
- Quito is the capital city of Ecuador.
- The country has the system of ‘Presidential Republic’.
- On 24th May 1822, Ecuador gained independence from Spain and from Gran Colombia, on 13th May 1830.
- The highest point of the country is Chimborazo Volcano, at 6310, while the lowest point is considered as the space formed by the Pacific Ocean.
- The country has a wide number of active volcanoes.
- The county is mainly segregated into four geographical regions, namely The Coastal Area (Litoral), The Andean Highlands (Sierra), The Amazon (Oriente) and The Galapagos Islands.
- Ecuador shares no boundary with Brazil in South America.
- The largest city of Ecuador is Guayaquil. It is also considered as a major port and a leading commercial center.
- Ecuador is a smallest country in the Andean highlands.
- Ecuador has about 10 percent of the population from European descent, and rest of them represent indigenous cultures and mixed ethnicity.
- The main industries of the country are petroleum, food processing, textiles and metal work.
- Cotopaxi, one of the highest active volcanoes in the world, is in Ecuador only.
- The country has been named after equator in Spanish.
- Although it measures only 250.000 Km² (155342sq.miles), there are 18 different languages spoken in Ecuador among the native communities, and both Spanish and Quechua are considered the primary languages of the country.
- Most people are not aware that the Galapagos Islands actually belong to Ecuador.
- Ecuador’s weather is not hot, even if it is located on the equatorial line. Cities along The Andes Region have an average high temperature of 15.5°C (60°F) all year-round. The Coastal Region is constantly refreshed by the Humboldt Current, it may be humid, but the temperature rarely reaches 35°C (95°F). The Amazon Basin is the only area consistently hot and humid.
- Ecuador’s official currency is the U.S. Dollar. In fact, Ecuador is the only country besides the U.S. using the U.S. Dollar as its sole currency.
- Ecuador has the most biodiversity out of any country in the world in proportion to its size, with more than 9 species of animals and plants per square kilometer (0.62mi). Over 15,000 types of vascular plants, more than 1,600 species of birds, 1,750 of freshwater fish, 413 of amphibians, 374 of reptiles, and 324 of mammals have been discovered in its territory. Almost 80% of its biodiversity is found in the Amazon Rainforest region, which is the least populated part of Ecuador.
- Ecuador has the place on Earth closest to the sun: the summit of Mount Chimborazo. This is because the Earth bulges at the Equator. This makes the top of Chimborazo the furthest point from the center of the Earth…In other words, the closest point to the Sun.
- The westernmost point of South America is found in Ecuador. It is a place called “The Chocolatera” (chocolate pot), a place from which you can watch the sea beating the rocks endlessly and furiously.
- In Ecuador’s “Sumaco Park”, we can find 831 bird species âEURo14 of which can’t be found anywhere else in the world- all packed into a 106Km² (66 sq. mi) area. This bird diversity is higher than that of Costa Rica or all of the United States and Canada combined.
- In Ecuador, there are 4,000 identified orchid species that constitute the highest diversity of orchids in the world, 1,300 of which are not found anywhere else in the world.
- Ecuador is a cheap place to travel. You can still get a decent meal at a sit-down restaurant for less than $4. The price for a hotel room in many towns may start at $20 or so, and it can be even less if you know how to negotiate… so be ready to walk away and the price may drop!
The Republic of Ecuador is ranked amongst the smallest nations in South America, but the major attractions for which it is known to the world wide visitors is really astounding. Here is the list of some of major and popular attractions if you opt for Ecuador travel:
1. Banos, Ecuador
The town of Banos, meaning “baths” in Spanish, is named for the nearby hydrothermal springs. The area is a popular destination for many reasons, but most notably visitors come for the culture, the cute handicraft shops, and the many outdoor activities like biking, trekking, rafting and rock-climbing.
2. Antisana Volcano
A great day trip destination from Quito (Ecuador’s capitol), the Antisana Volcano offers unique sight-seeing opportunities. This Ecological Reserve is topped with snow and glaciers and is known for its incredible scenery and distinctive high mountain fauna and flora.
3. Chiva Express
Train journeys are a unique and thrilling way to explore Ecuador. A “Chiva” is traditionally the name for an old-fashioned South American bus – but on modern Chiva Express tours, the vehicles have been adapted for comfort and safety. Sitting atop these classic trains really gives you an appreciation of the beauty and landscape of Ecuador.
4. Ecuador Wine Country
Ecuador is growing fame as a wine capitol because of its ideal grape-growing climate. Perhaps the most famous Ecuador winery is Chaupi Estancia estate, which has won numerous national and international awards and is just a half-hour outside of Quito. In this beautiful area, you can tour the winery, vineyards, show room and, of course, taste the wine.
5. Ecuador Amazon Rainforest
It is said that visiting Ecuador’s Amazon rainforest will fill your senses and the local people will fill your heart. Some of the tallest trees in the world are found here not to mention hundred of unique bird species and other wildlife. Observation towers provide you with an up-close look of the forest canopy and the unique experiences found here will create incredible memories that last a lifetime.
6. Galapagos Islands
The Galapagos Islands are known as the birthplace of Charles Darwin’s theory of Evolution. This island chain, made up 13 major islands and 45 islets, offers some of the world’s best animal sightseeing and scuba diving. Galapagos Island diving provides an opportunity to see penguins, hammerhead sharks, sea lions, whales and tropical fish in crystal-clear waters.
Things To Do On While On Your Ecuador Travel Holidays
Bird watching is a must-to-do thing in Ecuador. And, the task is incomplete without visiting to Mindo. This small town is surrounded with tropical forest and is home to more than 450 species of birds. Bird watchers can enjoy watching humming birds, American vultures, Hook-billed Kite, Band-tailed Pigeon and many more in the location. In order to enjoy birding tour for more a week or two, visitors can contact tour companies in Ecuador, which provide the opportunity of birding in the Galapagos Islands.
A holiday in Ecuador extends with the adventure of scuba diving. The turquoise water surrounding the Ecuadorian province allows visitors to dive underneath the water and explore the marine world. There are some tour companies in Ecuador which provide the fun of scuba diving and bird watching in touristy areas of the Galapagos Islands.
Staying at Eco-friendly Jungle Lodges
Ecuador is also among the favorite holiday destinations for nature lovers, bird watchers and adventure enthusiasts. Considering the temperament of eco-friendly tourists, a number of jungle lodges has been started in past few years. The beautifully constructed jungle lodges are well-furnished with modern amenities, which lives up to the expectation of visitors in the Ecuador. Tinalandia lodge situated in the cloud forest of Ecuador attracts wildlife enthusiasts from different parts of the world. Nestled at an altitude of 2, 000 feet above the sea level, this eco-friendly lodge provides an exceptional bird watching tour to the visitors in Ecuador. The ground of Tinalandia is an ultimate place to take a close look of wild animals and till date, over 350 species of exotic birds has been encountered by within the ground.
Ecuador travel won’t be complete without embarking on featured Ecuador tours open for visitors from all over the world. Tours those are unusual and exciting offering you the true experience of knowing about the culture, heritage, food, drinks, and adventure that the land of Ecuador is known for. So you will come to know what kind of journey waits for you.
Operated for all coffee lovers coming to the beautiful city of Quito, this tour will offer you a new experience of some warm pleasures. These kinds of tours are generally half day tour making you discover and learn about the coffee origins. You will come to know about the growing areas, characteristics, main varieties and types of this exotic drink throughout the world and within the country of Ecuador.
In addition, you get to learn some of the coffee recipes and special preparations with tips on what to look for when you go out to buy some new coffee. You will also be taken for a visit to some of the coffee plantations, special projects and other manufacturing units. At times, these visits may take a whole day hike throughout the spectacular countryside. This is must tour for all the coffee enthusiasts. Moreover, coffee tour can be an interesting one for foreign visitors and can extend to 5 or 6 days.
If you love chocolates and want to go out for an unusual yet exciting journey then select chocolate tour in Ecuador. It is where you can roast, pick, process and grind chocolates and taste results. It’s a life time opportunity so make the most out of it.
Culinary Travel or gastronomic tours to Ecuador
Ecuadorian cuisine includes a variety of special dishes. Apart from varieties of staple foods from Amazon lowlands, Coast and Highland, it also includes a fine influence of North American, European and Spanish tastes. Some of the common dishes in this country are Seco de Pollo (cooked chicken garnished with avocado fruit served with rice), Seco de Chivo (spicy goat meat served with dry rice), Lomo a la Plancha, Churrasco, Menestra, Locro, Hornado, Fritada, Trucha and others.
Gardening Tours are common in Ecuador. Organized by different tour operators, these tours show you gardens that inspire and educate. The varied terrain and tropical climate makes Ecuador one of the 17 countries to be classified as one of the most mega diverse countries in respect of biodiversity. There are about 25,000 plant species that have been catalogued over time. Garden tours to the Galapagos Islands offer you the chance of experiencing the truly diverse species of plants. However, flower plantations form to be the central interest for most garden tourists.
South American overland tours bring you the true essence of the life of Ecuador. To get the taste of the outdoor adventure, book your overland tour operator and get an action packed touring experience. These tours include a combination of hotels and camping. These are mainly participation tours where you will get to involve in a lot of activities each day from cooking, cleaning and setting up of the camp etc.
The Ecuador 4×4 tours refer to the 4 wheel adventure tours. The country offers you thousand kilometers of adventure tracks and roads in the Pacific lowlands (coast), Andean Highland and the Amazon rain forest and jungles for travelers. So don’t miss the opportunity to explore adventure Ecuador with the 4×4 tours.
With the increasing number of tourists each year, Ecuador has come up with some of the best accommodation facilities to meet the basic needs of their visitors. You will find Ecuador hotels and accommodation services ranging from hostels, inns, eco lodges, resorts, B&Bs, haciendas and much more located all over the country. For newly wedded couples, there are honeymoon hotels that offer honey moon packages of all kinds to meet their budget requirements.
Long story short, if you enjoy culture, scenery and history, mixed with wildlife and opportunities to stretch your legs, then Ecuador’s compact size makes an ideal holiday. You can see a huge amount in a week or so, but Ecuador has more than enough to keep you enthralled for three weeks and more if you have the time!
Visit the South America destinations category to learn more about best places to visit in South America!