Peruvian Meat & Potata Stew (Carapulcra) Recipe
Carnivores will surely crave this pork, chicken, beef combination. And with just the right spices and seasoning, this Peruvian favorite will have them fighting for seconds.
- 1 lb Dried Yellow Potato (papa seca)
- ½ lb. pork, ¾ inch cubes
- ½ lb. chicken, ¾ inch cubes
- ½ lb. beef, ¾ inch cubes
- Adobo with Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Corn Oil
- 3 tbsp Sofrito
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Ají Panca pepper puree* or to taste
- 2 packets Sazón with Cilantro and Annatto
- ½ cup Red Cooking Wine
- 3 tbsp. dry unsalted peanuts, pureed in a ¼ cup in blender
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- Accompaniments: Canilla Extra Long Grain Rice or Yucca, canned or frozen
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. On cookie sheet, toast the dried yellow potato in the oven for 5 minutes stirring once or twice. Rinse in strainer under cold water and soak in water to cover for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
3. Season meats with adobo. In casserole, heat oil on medium high. Add meats and cook stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Stir in sofrito and cook 3 minutes.
4. Add water, ají panca, sazón and wine. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
5. 5. Add the dried yellow potato and continue cooking until potato and meat are tender about 1 hour. Add water if stew gets too dry. Stir in peanuts and heat through.
6. Garnish with parsley and serve with rice or yucca as an accompaniment.
* Take 1 pkg. (2 oz.) Ají Panca (red hot pepper) and remove seeds and stems. Soak in hot water for 30 minutes. Puree in blender with some of the soaking liquid until smooth. Use as directed. Refrigerate or freeze any remaining
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!