Serbian Gibanica – A Blend Of Cheese In A Dough….Yum Yum!
This recipe for salty (savory) Serbian gibanica is a blend of cream cheese, cottae cheese and feta cheese between layers of filo dough that is baked until golden brown and crispy.
Serving: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 1 (8-ounce) package softened cream cheese
- 9 large eggs
- 2 1/2 pounds large-curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 pound crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pound thawed filo dough
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) melted butter
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add 3 eggs at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cottage cheese and feta cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Fold 2 sheets filo dough in half and place in a lightly buttered 13×9-inch pan. Lightly brush filo with butter. Spread with about 1/2 cup filling. Continue in this manner until all but 3 sheets of filo are left. Top with last 3 sheets filo and brush with remaining butter. Place on a sheet pan to catch any drips and bake about 1 hour or until golden. Let sit 15 to 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving warm.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!