Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe
Bavarian Pot Roast is a warming, soothing comfort food that embodies the taste of the season. Simply superb cooking from the mountains of Bavaria. Serve with cooked egg noodles or parslied potatoes.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 4:25 hrs
Total Time: 4:55 hrs
6 pounds beef bottom round roast
2 Tablespoons cooking fat
1 1/2 Cups apple juice
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 Cup onion; chopped
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/4 Cup flour; for gravy
- In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Pour off fat drippings.
- Add the apple juice, tomato sauce, onion, ginger, cinnamon, salt, vinegar, and bay leaf; mix well.
- Return meat to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until done. (Or cook in a 325 degrees F oven for same amount of time.)
- Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout. When done, remove meat and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- For 2 cups of gravy, pour liquid from pan into a 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand for 1 minute to allow fat to come to top. Discard all but 4 Tablespoons (or less) of fat. Add enough water (or other liquid) to measure 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Return to pan.
- In same cup, measure 1/2 cup cold water and blend in flour. Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste gravy and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat; serve gravy separately.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!