Rabbit And Coconut Stew Recipe
Since rabbit meat has a tendency to be dry, it is best cooked with a creamy sauce as in this coconut cream stew. Absolutely delicious! Serve with white rice.
Time: 2 hours 10 min
- 1/4 cup (65ml) oil for frying
- 1 rabbit (about 1 kg), cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, seeded and minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups (440ml) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup (170ml) coconut cream
- Heat the oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Fry the rabbit pieces until browned on the outside. Transfer to a soup pot or large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, green and red capsicum and the chilli to the frypan; cook and stir until onion is transparent. Transfer to a saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper to the saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 2 hours. Remove the rabbit pieces with a slotted spoon, and keep warm. Turn the heat up to high under the saucepan, and boil the liquid until it has reduced by half.
- Return the rabbit pieces to the pan, and stir in the coconut milk. Cook, stirring gently, until heated through. Serve.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!