Rubyan Meshwi (Emirati Grilled Prawns) Recipe
Jumbo prawns are basted in a spicy-sweet ketchup-based sauce before they are grilled. This combination leads to a great Emirati grilled prawns dish, known as Rubyan Meshwi.
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 tsp. whole white peppercorns
- 3 chiles de árbol, stemmed
- ¾ cup tomato paste
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. tamarind concentrate
- 1½ tbsp. soy sauce
- 1½ lb. unpeeled jumbo prawns or shrimp, preferably head-on
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Grind sugar, mustard, oregano, peppercorns, and chiles in a spice grinder into a powder; transfer to a bowl. Stir in paste, ketchup, vinegar, oil, tamarind, and soy sauce; reserve ⅓ cup sauce. Add prawns to bowl and toss; let sit 20 minutes.
2. Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to high. (Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.) Grill prawns, flipping once and basting frequently with reserved sauce, until slightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!