Mechwi Jader- Upside Down Rice And Vegetable Cake
This is a typical dish from Bahrain. People in Bahrain cook this food a lot during the holy month of Ramadan. It always looks amazing when it’s taken out of the saucepan.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 60 min
Number of servings: 6
1. Place the chicken or meat in a medium saucepan and add water to cover.
2. Put the saucepan over heat. When the water boils, remove the fatty liquid that forms on the top then add the spices for cooking the meat or chicken and salt and reduce the heat.
3. Cover the saucepan and keep on heat until the chicken or meat is done then remove and drain the chicken or meat and keep their broth.
4. Put the oil in a saucepan, add onions and potatoes and fry well until the onions turn lightly brown.
5. Add in the meat or chicken, bell pepper, green hot pepper, “loumi”, and tomatoes. Stir the ingredients for few minutes then add 1 cup of broth to the saucepan and leave for 10 minutes over low heat.
6. Meanwhile, boil the rice in a saucepan containing water and the spices for rice cooking. Leave it on heat until the rice is half cooked then remove the rice and drain it.
7. Add the rice over the chicken or meat mixture, then add in another cup of broth and close the saucepan well.
8. Leave the saucepan over low heat for half an hour then remove from heat and leave it in a warm place until serving.
9. Flip the saucepan over into a serving dish and serve hot.
For variation, you can replace meat by chicken, it is as delicious.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!