Dawood Basha “Meatballs With Tomato Sauce”
Dawood Basha – Small meat balls and onion slices are fried then cooked in tomato sauce. This stew is usually served with vermicelli rice. Kids will love this dish!
- 1 kg finely ground beef
- 1 kg tomatoes, peeled and cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1. In a food processor, blend the ground meat, cinnamon, allspice and salt until you get a homogeneous meat paste.
2. To prepare the meatballs, wet your hands with some water and divide the meat paste into small balls the size of a small plum.
3. In a deep saucepan, heat the vegetable oil and fry the meat balls. Remove and drain on a kitchen absorbent paper.
4. In the same saucepan, fry the onion slices until tender then add back in the fried meat balls. Add the tomato pieces and the dissolved tomato paste. Cook over medium heat.
5. When the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat, cover the saucepan and let it simmer for 15 min.
6. Serve hot with vermicelli rice.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!