Algerian Lamb El Halu – Sweet Lamb Stewed With Ginger, Prunes And Almonds!
- 2 pounds Stewing lamb, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/4 cup Oil or butter
- 2 cups Water
- Few strands Saffron (optional)
- 1 cup Prunes
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons Orange blossom water (optional)
- 1/2 cup Blanched, sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, mix together the lamb, cinnamon, turmeric and ginger. Heat the oil or butter in a large pot over medium-high flame and brown the lamb in batches, removing each batch to a plate before adding the next.
- Return all the browned meat to the pot and add the water and saffron. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the meat starts to get tender.
- While the meat is simmering, cover the prunes and raisins with hot water and set aside to let them plump up for at least 30 minutes.
- After the meat has been simmering for 45 minutes, drain the fruit and add it to the meat along with the sugar and the orange blossom water. Add a little more water if needed and simmer for another 30-40 minutes.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and serve with couscous, pita bread or rice.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!