Mapopo (Papaya Candy) Recipe from Zimbabwe
Mapopo is a traditional Zimbabwean recipe for a classic sweet (candy) made of papaya that’s candied in sugar and which is dusted with icing sugar before serving.
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 papaya (approximately 1 pound)
- 2 cups sugar
- Lemon peel, grated
- ½ teaspoon mint, dried or fresh
– Peel the papaya and wash well.
– Slice into little strips.
– Place the papaya, mint, grated lemon and sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
– Cook for 10 minutes, then set aside for half an hour.
– Reheat over medium heat until the mixture crystallizes.
– Remove from heat and, using a spoon and fork, mold into ball or stick shapes.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!