Recipe For Moussaka – A Traditional Classic Egyptian Layered Dish!
This is a popular dish in the eastern Mediterranean.
Servings – 5
Preparation Time – 1.5 hours
- 1 kg eggplant , sliced.
- 2 green peppers.
- 2 onions.
- 4 tomatoes.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 1/3 kg minced meat.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste.
- Salt and pepper.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Stir in one chopped onion until yellow.
- Add minced meat, salt and pepper and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover pan and leave to cook.
Preparing tomato sauce
- Slice 2 tomatoes and blend the rest with 1/4 cup water.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Add blended tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/2 cup water, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and leave to simmer.
- Cut one green pepper into thin slices.
- Fry green pepper in oil and set aside.
- Fry eggplant slices in oil until just golden.
- Heat oven to medium-high heat.
- In a baking dish, arrange eggplant slices at the bottom making one layer then arrange half quantity of green pepper slices and some minced meat.
- Arrange another layer of eggplant.
- Pour tomato sauce over layers then add the rest of minced meat to make a layer on top.
- Arrange tomato and the rest of green pepper slices on surface.
- Place in oven and leave till cooked.
- Serve hot or cold.
Browse our How to Cook category for a full collection of recipes for all meal types and from all locations around the world!