Inflatable Tents – Not Every Camper Loves Hardcore Stuff!
Inflatable tents are a comparatively recent innovation and a kind of boon for camping enthusiasts. The conventional camping tents have fiber glass poles to hold it erect but these newer ones have beams pumped with air to keep the tent straight. The inflatable tents are the current in-thing for the campers as well people looking out to have some outdoor gathering.
One of the major unique advantage of inflatable tents is the fact that they are a few seconds affair and require least physical effort to set up as well as dismantle whenever needed. On those tiresome evenings, when you find yourself limping towards your camping destination with fatigue, you can set up your inflating camping tent within seconds, pack up your gear and unwind. Inflating camping tents bear no fragile parts that risk breakage and can be puckered up easily for comfortable storage. Their simplicity also makes them very economical and the most feasible option for all kinds of holidays, from backpacking to beach destinations.
The poles necessary to stable a camping tent are also inflatable in nature. All that you may need is an efficient air source that can fit into the built-in air valve of the inflating camping tent and thus blow it up. Such air source and the camping tent don’t occupy much space and can be easily packed into the cars dickey or into your RV. Different air sources available in the market are as follows:
– Air Compressor – anything capable of inflating car tires will do
– An Air tank – can be refilled at an air pump gas station
– CO2 Dispenser – an expensive choice but has several benefits
– Diving tank – ideal for Scuba Divers
Even a source as simple as a bicycle pump can also be used to blow up your inflating camping tent. However, that may need little more energy and time, which we’re trying to conserve here.
All the above-mentioned air-filling means are environment friendly and safe. The valves are designed in a manner that they prevent overfilling once the most optimum pressure level is reached. Once ready, all that you are required to do is to stake it to the surface, just in case the winds turn little harsh.
Deflating your tent is a job as easy as releasing the air valve and seeing it fold, just as it is in the case of airbeds. Once deflated, you can pack it up and store wherever you like.
There are few other essential features to be considered while purchasing your inflatable camping tent. It should be lightweight, durable and domed (not walled) for easy set-up. Please ensure that you have an excellent quality sleeping bag and a sleeping mat to complement your tent. You can even choose from sleeping pads or the bag liners for a good relaxed sleep. Your selection of sleeping equipment must be entirely based on the climatic conditions of the terrains you are planning to camp in.
That said, like explained earlier….inflatable tents are perfect for all kinds of occasions like an impromptu party in the backyard; pitch it up on the beach or for that matter it can be used in the park too. Furthermore, inflatable tents come in a variety of size and shape depending on the choice and preference of the person looking for it.
Types of Inflatable Tents:
Inflatable tents can be broadly categorized into two parts – the party tents and the camping tents.
a) Camping Tents
The camping inflatable tents are slightly different from the party ones as they have to weather more rough and hard edges so to say. They also come in all kinds of sizes ranging from a tent that is meant for a single person to a large one that can accommodate five or six people. These are not too bulky and can be pitched in a few minutes.
b) Party Tents
Planning to have a party but space is a constraint. The best option is to rent an inflatable tent which is easy to set up and serves the purpose to the hilt. These days such tents are available in a range of designs, shapes and sizes depending on the type of occasion you are planning to celebrate. These can be used for wedding receptions, birthdays of your young ones, some fun outdoor activities like organizing carnivals and various other kinds of celebrations. For a fun filled party for the children, a house party tent is a lot of fun. There are many such tents that are shaped according to an animal or a vehicle or are themed on some movie.
For a day out with your adult friends, these tents work wonders especially given the unpredictability of the weather. The tents meant for parties and outings are longer is size as they are meant to accommodate the tables and chairs too.
Furthermore, if you thought that these inflatable party tents are there only to add a touch of fun and glamour to an event, then you are mistaken. They also offer several other advantages. Let us take a look at them one by one.
• The biggest advantage of using these tents is that they will provide the guests with much needed shade. This is one of the reasons why they are the favorites during summers and in places where the mercury soars during the afternoons. They are made of material that is especially designed to withstand harsh summers, without wilting. They also gel perfectly well with pool party themes. You can always pitch one up near a pool. This will help everyone cool off, whether in the pool or in the shade of the tent.
• Another key reason why these inflatable tents are useful is because they provide you with enough space to accommodate everything that you may need in a party. For example, they can cover the entire dance floor if you want to. You can also use them to cover the dining area. If you feel that you want them to cover the children’s play area during a wedding reception or a birthday party, these party tents can do that too. It is this versatility that is behind their popularity.
• One more major advantage with inflatable party tents is the variety on offer. Whatever may be the theme of your party, you can find a party tent suited to the occasion. For example, if it is a wedding you can go in for the exquisite white colored tents that are especially made for such formal occasions. Similarly, you can opt for a fun themed inflatable dome tent for a birthday party for kids.
• Another big advantage with these party tents lies in the fact that they can be pitched in literally next to no time. All that you need to do is to inflate them and secure them to the ground. If you are hiring them from a party supplier they will make sure they set up the tents for you in quick time, ensuring that they are properly secured to the ground.
How Do You Set Up Inflatable Tents?
Most of the inflatable tents come with an integrated air pump so that they can be set up easily at the camp site. That said, inflatable tents are ideal as they require a lot less time to erect than a conventional tent, by the time your neighbour on the campsite have just got their groundsheet down you would have had mine put up and even have a cup of coffee in your hand, that’s how quick they are. They are also a good shelter against the elements as this is something not to be taken lightly when you go camping.
One you are at the site and have been given your pitch you need to clear the area of where you wish to pitch. Make sure there are no protruding stones or glass and also branches and twigs in the area. You now need to lay down a piece of tarp as protection, this is not essential but in my view if you want your new inflatable tent to last the course then it best that you take this precaution. As soon as you have this part you are now ready to get the tent out.
Connect your air pump to the tent and switch it on. It will only take a matter of seconds to fully pump the whole of your tent. Once it is fully inflated be sure to connect all of the ground stakes. These make sure that your tent will not vanish in a high wind and secure it neatly in place. That’s it; I explained earlier it is easy. Now you can enjoy the weekend away and just unpack your camping gear and put up the rest of your camping equipment such as your barbecue and folding camping table. Once you have experienced the ease of the inflatable tent it is unlikely you will ever go back to the days of spending an hour erecting your conventional dome tent.
Maintaining and Fixing Inflatable Tents
The one disadvantage to these is that they might become split by rocks, sticks, and other debris. In case this comes about it is important to have the proper provisions and to recognize the better way to mend a hole without having to buy a new one or to sleep on the ground.
You have to always have a puncture repair kit with you for troubles such as this. The best way to avert this when out in the woods is to test it for leaks before you leave.
Before you are able to fix it you should know where the leak is coming from. Inflate the tent and listen for where the air is being released. This can be challenging, particularly when the hole is quite tiny. To make things better fill it with soapy and cold water. You will straightaway know where the hole is.
Mark the hole or tear with a felt pen. When you have done this you can pull out the water. It has to be simple to find the hole because you have marked it. Now put on solvent to the plastic patch from the repair kit. The patch will go over the hole and cover all of the edges of it.
When the hole is sealed you can apply more solvent onto the patch. Make sure it is completely dried before you inflate it or pour more water into it. If all is well than you recognize you have completely mended the inflatable camping tent with no troubles.
Browse our Camping List and Tips category for more camping related ideas and information of your interest to guarantee yourself a smooth camping experience!